680 Rte. 6A
Is on the corner of Nobscussett Road and Route 6A was un-developed into a pocket park in 2002 after the Town of Dennis purchased the property, which was a former gas station and auto repair shop.
This park project was piloted by a volunteer Citizen Steering Committee, which created the architectural plan, coordinated the scope of work, managed contributions, and volunteers. Although the park is Town owned, the Society maintenances the property. The flower gardens are planted by the Village Garden Club of Dennis.
1006 Old Bass River Rd
Carleton Hall began in 1828 as a Methodist "praying house.” In 1865, Captain Carleton Howes organized a group of village citizens to purchase the chapel for community activities.
The building was given to the town as a gift in 1954, at which time the more modern ell and indoor plumbing were added. The hall continues to serve as a community center. In 2007, the Society received a grant to restore the hall. Carleton Hall is Town owned.
1020 Old Bass River Road
In 1923, the Memorial Library Association, Inc. of Dennis was formed for the purpose of building and maintaining a library for the benefit of the people in the Village of Dennis. When the original building was completed in 1924, it was dedicated as a memorial to Dennis veterans of World War I.
Over the past 80 years, the library has expanded its building and increased its services several times to reflect Dennis' growing populations and library needs. Our beautiful 3,600 square foot addition allows us to continue to blend traditional library services with the technology of the future.
The Library is a partner in the Dennis library system, serving families, students, young children, and retirees.
820 Route 6A
In the 1920s, founder Raymond Moore wanted to create a summer theatre close to Boston and the more affluent Cape communities. He purchased three-and-a-half acres of land fronting the Old King’s Highway in Dennis, and found the abandoned 19th century Nobscussett meetinghouse located in another part of Dennis. Amazingly, Moore had the large meetinghouse hauled down the road and placed on its present site.
Before air conditioning, New York was unbearable in the summer. The theatres would close, and people escaped the heat by traveling to the coastal resorts. By offering actors the prospect of paid summer work in a professional theatre away from the heat of New York City, Moore convinced the big-name stars to come perform at the new theatre.
On July 4, 1927, members of the glamorous audience watched the curtain rise on a glittering production of The Guardsman, starring Basil Rathbone and Violet Kemble Cooper – and when it rained, the roof leaked so badly that the audience put up umbrellas! Undaunted, audiences began flocking to Dennis to see the stars.
Young, unknown Bette Davis first worked as an usher before returning the following summer to act. And one promising student named Jane was given a small role in a play starring her father, Henry Fonda. Many actors such as Bette Davis, Gregory Peck, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Montgomery, and Shirley Booth made their early professional appearances at The Cape Playhouse before going on to win Academy Awards.
35 Hope Lane
For more than 80 years, the Cape Cinema in Dennis, Massachusetts has operated as a truly unique venue for movies, performance events and live music. The Cinema was founded in 1930 by Edna B. Tweedy and Raymond Moore, three years after Moore founded the Cape Playhouse. The building's exterior was designed by Alfred Easton Poor and modelled after the South Congregational Church in Centerville, Massachusetts.
The auditorium is designed in the style of Art Deco and includes 317 individual arm chairs of black lacquer and tangerine suede produced by the Frankl Galleries in New York. Moore and Tweedy commissioned American painter and illustrator Rockwell Kent to design a 6,400 square foot mural for the auditorium's ceiling, featuring a representation of the heavens and constellations, and it was installed by set designer Jo Mielziner.
Since 1986, the Cape Cinema has operated as an art house specializing in independent American and international film, simulcasts of the Metropolitan Opera and National Theatre, and live music performances. The Raymond Moore Foundation oversees the 26-acre grounds surrounding the Cape Cinema, the Cape Playhouse and the Cape Cod Museum of Art.
60 Hope Ln
The Museum preserves the work of the Cape’s finest artists and celebrates the distinctive artistic identity of the Cape, the Islands and the region. It is a major hub of the cultural life of the region. Through its outstanding art collection and diverse programming, CCMoA educates, inspires and excites the imagination while caring for and connecting the Cape's many communities.
The Museum is situated in a beautiful setting surrounded by a Sculpture Garden at the Cape Cod Center for the Arts. CCMoA has seven galleries, a museum shop and a film screening room.
The Cape Cod Museum of Art’s mission as the preeminent art organization on Cape Cod is to educate, inspire and excite the imagination of all by using our outstanding collection and diverse programming.
Old King's Hwy
Constructed in 1875 in the Dennis Village Cemetery, the Receiving Tomb temporarily housed the bodies of those who died during the winter months when the ground was too frozen to allow burial. Now, in the warmer months when the "OPEN" flag is displayed outside, visitors are able to enter to see and read the information on pre-twentieth century burial practices in Dennis.